We aim to be your top eco friendly hotel in Brussels!
We’re all encouraged to do our bit for the environment. You do it at home, so why should it be different when you travel? Whether you’re on a business or leisure trip it makes perfect sense to stay at a green hotel.
At Thon Hotel EU, we work hard to be a true eco friendly hotel. That’s why we have a proactive environmental policy, train our teams in ‘green’ thinking and encourage our guests to be as ‘green’ as possible.
Opened since April 2012, Thon Hotel EU has been rewarded immediately with the Green Key Label for its ecological and social efforts. The Green Key is an international eco-label awarded to tourist establishments for their environmental processes and performance. Our green team, which is made up of volunteering staff members, deploys its energy to work on existing and innovative new green and social projects.
Being green: your advantages.
- As a guest, you can also contribute towards a more sustainable environment. When staying for more than one night, just hang up the green card outside the door if you do not wish you room to be serviced. You will be rewarded with our Green Voucher (value of € 5.00) to use at our The Twelve bar and restaurant or you can donate the € 5.00 to the association "GoodPlanet".
- During the European Mobility Week in September, our guests have the possibility to use our free taxi bike service
- Free use of Villo! for all our guests (upon availability, certain conditions apply)
We are convinced that awareness is created through fun and positive actions and when brought in a nice way, habits might be changed, not only when staying at Thon Hotel EU but also when back home.
- During our opening year, we have participated to the European Week for Waste Reduction (November). Over 150 books have been collected for our action “Second Life Book” of which about a third has found a new reader. The remaining books have been given away to “Les Petits Riens / Spullenhulp”. We thank all participants for their input and count on you for this year’s edition!
- As we believe environmental responsibility goes hand in hand with social responsibility, we do not limit ourselves when looking for projects. On January 28, we have held our first Blood Donation Day in collaboration with the Belgian Red Cross. Almost 37 liters of blood have been collected. Pleased with the result, we will repeat this action on December 9, click here for more information.
- Every year on March 22, World Water Day is celebrated. We have distributed hourglasses to customers to raise awareness for the importance of this natural resource: lots water can be saved by taking shorter showers
- Our employees participated to the Run of Flanders in order to raise funds for research for the Duchenne disease.
- After a severe winter, our 150.000 bees have finally discovered their new home on the rooftop of Thon Hotel EU. Our own honey production has been used during the bio week (June) and is used in some of the dishes of our The XII menu. During this same week, we have held some work shops (open for every one) in collaboration with Apis Bruoc Sella in order to point out the importance of bees in our daily life.
- Our own green beer, Thonner’ke, saw life in June. As the stock is limited, it is now or never to taste it.
- During the European Mobility Week (September), we had an bike taxi at our guests’ disposal for free local transportation. To promote the recharging borns for electric cars for free in the parking underneath the hotel, a hybrid car was put in the hotel lobby and free subscriptions to Bleu Corner given away
- Also this year, we will organize our action “Second Life Books” during the European Week for Waste Reduction. Do not hesitate to bring in your books between November 16 and 22 or click here for more information.
- Undress to impress for a cause… We want to help the victims of the typhoon Haiyan in the
Philippines by collecting gently used clothes until November 30th. Guests and staff members can drop off their clothes at our reception desk; we will make sure your gift is reaching its destination.
- On December 16, Thon Hotel EU will be hosting the press conference during which the Green Key label will be handed over to the newly labelled establishments. Our Green Key will be renewed during this event.
- In March, the entire staff participated to an information session about the importance of the bees. During the European Week for Waste Reduction, they followed a workshop about waste and correctly waste sorting.
Already planned for 2014:
- Some of the above actions (such as Blood Donation Day, World Water Day, …) will be organized as well in 2014. But also ideas for new actions are welcome. You have THE idea we are looking for? Do not hesitate to contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and if your idea will be executed, we will reward you with a free night at our hotel!
Thon Hotel EU: an eco friendly hotel with lots of features!
For modern travel accommodation, being an eco hotel involves much more than the obvious energy saving measures and having no-smoking rooms. Here’s a taste of how we provide genuinely eco accommodation:
- Alternative energy generation - Solar panels on our rooftop
- The introduction of an energy accounting system
- Low energy lighting - 95% of the lamp bulbs are LED lamps (low consumption and long lifespan)
- Energy saving key card system in all bedrooms
- Gaz injected heating system
- Energy efficient flat screen televisions
- Rainwater harvesting system – Rainwater is collected from the roof for watering plantations, rinsing the degreaser, the staff’s sanitary and other
- Use of low-flow water taps in the bathrooms and showers
- All toilet are equipped with water saving devices
- Installation of electronic faucets in the urinals
- Environmentally friendly towel and sheet re-use program
- Hotel recycling bins in all bedrooms, common areas and back of the house to make recycling easy and convenient for everybody
- Thon Hotel EU keeps in account the green efforts from possible suppliers when choosing the preferred supplier
- Eco labeled cleaning products
- Recuperation of soap, shampoo and shower gel left overs and donate to charity
- Eco labeled stationary
- Internal reports printed double sided
- Ecological cartridges for our printers
- Faxes received as PDF format per e-mail instead of printed
- Internal online back up system for all documents
- Paper free invoicing to our contracted company clients
- We are working together with a eco-friendly dry-cleaning company
- Use of Ecopostal for our delivery of packages
- We have Villo! cards at our guest’s disposal (upon availability, certain conditions apply).
- Two recharging borns for electric and hybrid cars
- Bicycle storage facilities
- Bio-diversity - Green roof on 1rst and 9th floor
- Hygiene - Allergy awareness when choosing furnishing and cleaning materials
- Double glazing
- Floor insulation, thermal insulation and acoustic insulation
THON HOTEL EU: A WARM AND GREEN WELCOME FOR EVERYONE