Thon Hotel EU has been rewarded in 2012 with the Green Key Label for its green efforts. The Green Key is an international eco-label awarded to tourist establishments for their environmental processes and performance. The hotel is also in the process of being certified as an "eco-dynamic enterprise".
At Thon Hotel EU, we are fully aware of the limited available natural resources and of the impact our sector is having on the environment. That is why we have chosen to implement an environmental policy that takes into account our opportunities to reduce our ecological footprint while maintaining a high quality service.
We are focusing on the following topics
- Involvement of our employees (information, training and awareness)
- Involvement of our guests (information and awareness), including the use of a survey
- Water management
- Energy management
- Waste management
- Limiting the cleaning products
Some of our actions
- Our green team is made up of volunteers who deploy their energy to this exciting project
- The use of rainwater for watering plantations, rinsing the degreaser, the staff’s sanitary
- Use of low-flow taps and toilet flushing
- Green roof and solar panels
- The use of mainly LED lamps
- The introduction of an energy accounting
- Sorting waste: bins with compartments in the rooms
- Thon Hotel EU keeps in account the green efforts from possible suppliers when choosing the preferred supplier (e.g. we have chosen a supplier of 100% green electricity, the drycleaning company we work with is an ecological one …)
We try to rise awareness for a greener environment
- We have Villo! cards at our guest’s disposal (upon availability, certain conditions apply).
- As a guest, you can also contribute towards a more sustainable environment. When staying for more than one night, just hang up a card outside the door if you do not wish you room to be serviced. You will be rewarded with a € 5.00 voucher to use at The Twelve or you can donate the € 5.00 to the association "Good Planet".
- We participated in the European Week for Waste Reduction in November 2012. Over 150 books have been collected for our action “Second Life Book” of which about a third has found a new reader. The remaining books have been given away to “Les Petits Riens / Spullenhulp”. We thank all participants for their input and count on you for next year’s edition!
- We have planned more green campaigns in 2013 (more information to come).