We aim to be your top eco friendly hotel in Brussels!
We’re all encouraged to do our bit for the environment. You do it at home, so why should it be different when you travel? Whether you’re on a business or leisure trip it makes perfect sense to stay at a green hotel.
At Thon Hotel EU, we work hard to be a true eco friendly hotel. That’s why we have a proactive environmental policy, train our teams in ‘green’ thinking and encourage our guests to be as ‘green’ as possible.
Opened since April 2012, Thon Hotel EU has been rewarded immediately with the Green Key Label for its ecological and social efforts. The Green Key is an international eco-label awarded to tourist establishments for their environmental processes and performance. In the beginning of 2014, the jury from "Entreprise Ecodynamique / Ecodynamische Onderneming" has awarded us with 2 out of 3 stars! And by June 2014 we received our third label - Green Leaders by Tripadvisor. Our green team, which is made up of volunteering staff members, deploys its energy to work on existing and innovative new green and social projects.
Being green: your advantages.
- As a guest, you can also contribute towards a more sustainable environment. When staying for more than one night, just hang up the green card outside the door if you do not wish you room to be serviced. You will be rewarded with our Green Voucher (value of € 5.00) to use at our The Twelve bar and restaurant or you can donate the € 5.00 to the association "GoodPlanet" - check out the video "Goodplanet Nature Discovery powered by Thon Hotels".
- During the European Mobility Week in September, our guests have the possibility to use our free taxi bike service
- Free use of Villo! for all our guests (upon availability, certain conditions apply)
We are convinced that awareness is created through fun and positive actions and when brought in a nice way, habits might be changed, not only when staying at Thon Hotel EU but also when back home.
This year again we have planned alot of different actions and will continue everything which was already done in the past. Following are some important dates
- Blood donation day - 16/03/15 (from 9am till 5pm)
- World Water Day - 22nd of March
- Bees are coming back - End of March
- Vegetable Garden - We cultivate our own vegetables (Tomatoes, pumpkins, zucchini, radish, lettuce, and some more)
- European Clean-up day - during the week of 8th of May
- 20km run by Thon Hotel staff members to raise money for a specific charity
- Bio Week - during the week of the 6th of June
- Sustainable Energy Week - During the week of the 15th of June
- Blood donation day - 22/06/15 (from 10am till 6pm)
- Blood donation day - 07/09/15 (from 10am till 6pm)
- Mobility Week - During the week of the 14th of September
- EWWR - European Waste Reduction Week - During the week of the 21st of November
- Blood donation day - 07/12/15 (from 10am till 6pm)
- Undress to Impress - During the months of September, October, November and December
For past actions & results and further updates follow our facebook page and twitter account!
In the beginning of 2014, Thon Hotel EU has received a new ecolabel! The jury from "Entreprise Ecodynamique / Ecodynamische Onderneming" has awarded our hotel with 2 out of 3 stars! We are proud to have this second ecolabel which was handed over to us during the official award which was also held at our hotel.
At Thon Hotel EU, we do not throw away leftovers from soap, shampoo, … but we donate them to Samusocial which aims to help the less favoured ones of our society.
At Thon Hotel EU and The Twelve, we are serving 100% Belgian fair-trade milk. This solidary and equitable label guarantees our milk producers get a decent income for their work. Local products also reduce the food kilometres, which is in line with our environmental policy.
Thon EU says goodbye to bees that stayed on our green roof in 2013, leaving place to a fantastic insect hotel which does not only host the honey bee but also other insects such as butterflies and ladybugs. Being an international hotel, it is a pleasure welcoming guests from anywhere and now also housing all types of pollinators in the area!
We have bought a We-bike that converts human power into electricity and generates enough energy to charge plugged-in devices like mobile phones and PC’s. This We-bike has been manufactured at Westlandia, a sheltered workshop which aims to do what is necessary and / or useful to integrate persons with disabilities by giving them a sustainable employment that suits them.
Undress to impress…for a cause: In November, December and January we have collected clothes which have been given to the Belgian Red Cross and distributed to the homeless in Belgium.
Blood Donation Day: following the success of the first 2 editions, we will organise this year each quarter a Blood Donation Day. The 4 dates are: March 17th, June 23rd, September 8th and December 8th. During these four editions we had 409 sucessfull donations, which represent 204.5 liters of blood, which will certainly save several lives.
Of course we will repeat some of our previous actions as well in 2014 (such as World Water Day, Second Life Books during the European Week for Waste Reduction, …) but also ideas for new actions and initiatives are welcome. You have THE idea we are looking for? Do not hesitate to contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and if your idea will be executed, we will reward you with a free night at our hotel!
- As we believe environmental responsibility goes hand in hand with social responsibility, we do not limit ourselves when looking for projects. On January 28, we have held our first Blood Donation Day in collaboration with the Belgian Red Cross. Almost 37 liters of blood were collected. Pleased with the result, this action has been repeated on December 9. During this second edition, 112 heroes passed by to give in total 52,64 liters of blood
- Every year on March 22, World Water Day is celebrated. We have distributed hourglasses to customers to raise awareness for the importance of this natural resource: lots of water can be saved by taking shorter showers
- Our employees participated to the Run of Flanders in order to raise funds for research for the Duchenne disease.
- After a severe winter, our 150.000 bees have finally discovered their new home on the rooftop of Thon Hotel EU. Our own honey production has been used during the bio week (June) and is used in some of the dishes of our The XII menu. During this same week, we have held some work shops (open for every one) in collaboration with Apis Bruoc Sella in order to point out the importance of bees in our daily life.
- In March, the entire staff participated to an information session about the importance of the bees. During the European Week for Waste Reduction, they followed a workshop about waste and correctly waste sorting.
- Our own green beer, Thonner’ke, saw life in June. As the stock is limited, it is now or never to taste it.
- During the European Mobility Week (September), we had an bike taxi at our guests’ disposal for free local transportation. To promote the recharging borns for electric cars for free in the parking underneath the hotel, a hybrid car was put in the hotel lobby and free subscriptions to Bleu Corner given away
- Also in 2013, we organized for the second time in a row our action “Second Life Books” during the European Week for Waste Reduction. 400 books in 17 languages were collected.
- Undress to impress for a cause… To help the victims of the typhoon Haiyan in the
Philippines, Thon Hotels Belgium has collected gently used clothes. We were able to donate one container with useful clothes and thank you for your kind contribution.
- On December 16, Thon Hotel EU hosted the press conference during which the Green Key label has been handed over to the newly labelled establishments. Our Green Key has been renewed during this event.
- In 2013, we could on a great contribution of our guests: 5.455 € has been collected with our Green Voucher Program and is donated to GoodPlanet Belgium. It is a real pleasure that our guests are so involved in our environmental approach.
- During our opening year, we have participated to the European Week for Waste Reduction (November). Over 150 books have been collected for our action “Second Life Book” of which about a third has found a new reader. The remaining books have been given away to “Les Petits Riens / Spullenhulp”. We thank all participants for their input and count on you for this year’s edition!
Thon Hotel EU: an eco friendly hotel with lots of features!
For modern travel accommodation, being an eco hotel involves much more than the obvious energy saving measures and having no-smoking rooms. Here’s a taste of how we provide genuinely eco accommodation:
- Alternative energy generation - Solar panels on our rooftop
- The introduction of an energy accounting system
- Low energy lighting - 95% of the lamp bulbs are LED lamps (low consumption and long lifespan)
- Energy saving key card system in all bedrooms
- Gaz injected heating system
- Energy efficient flat screen televisions
- Rainwater harvesting system – Rainwater is collected from the roof for watering plantations, rinsing the degreaser, the staff’s sanitary and other
- Use of low-flow water taps in the bathrooms and showers
- All toilets are equipped with water saving devices
- Installation of electronic faucets in the urinals
- Environmentally friendly towel and sheet re-use program
- Hotel recycling bins in all bedrooms, common areas and back of the house to make recycling easy and convenient for everybody
- Thon Hotel EU keeps in account the green efforts from possible suppliers when choosing the preferred supplier
- Eco labeled cleaning products
- Recuperation of soap, shampoo and shower gel left overs and donate to charity
- Eco labeled stationary
- Internal reports printed double sided
- Ecological cartridges for our printers
- Faxes received as PDF format per e-mail instead of printed
- Internal online back up system for all documents
- Paper free invoicing to our contracted company clients
- We are working together with a eco-friendly dry-cleaning company
- Use of Ecopostal for our delivery of packages
- We have Villo! cards at our guest’s disposal (upon availability, certain conditions apply).
- Two recharging borns for electric and hybrid cars
- Bicycle storage facilities
- Bio-diversity - Green roof on 1rst and 9th floor
- Hygiene - Allergy awareness when choosing furnishing and cleaning materials
- Double glazing
- Floor insulation, thermal insulation and acoustic insulation
THON HOTEL EU: A WARM AND GREEN WELCOME FOR EVERYONE