We aim to be your top eco friendly hotel in Brussels
We’re all encouraged to do our bit for the environment. You do it at home, so why should it be different when you travel? Whether you’re on a business or leisure trip it makes perfect sense to stay at a green hotel.
At Thon Hotel EU, we work hard to be a true eco friendly hotel. That’s why we have a proactive environmental policy, train our teams in ‘green’ thinking and encourage our guests to be as ‘green’ as possible.
Opened since April 2012, Thon Hotel EU has been rewarded immediately with the Green Key Label for its ecological and social efforts. The Green Key is an international eco-label awarded to tourist establishments for their environmental processes and performance. In the beginning of 2014, the jury from "Entreprise Ecodynamique / Ecodynamische Onderneming" has awarded us with 2 out of 3 stars! And by June 2014 we received our third label - Green Leaders by Tripadvisor. Our green team, which is made up of volunteering staff members, deploys its energy to work on existing and innovative new green and social projects.
Being green: advantages for the environment and you
As a guest, you can also contribute towards a more sustainable environment. When staying for more than one night, just hang up the green card outside the door if you do not wish you room to be serviced. You will be rewarded with our Green Voucher (value of € 5.00) to use at our The Twelve bar and restaurant or you can donate the € 5.00 to the association "GoodPlanet" - check out the video "Goodplanet Nature Discovery powered by Thon Hotels". You can participate to this action before check-in already, by booking our green package.
Free use of Villo! bike rental for all our guests (upon availability, certain conditions apply) to see Brussels in a sustainable way.
Actions throughout the year
We are convinced that awareness is created through fun and positive actions and when brought in a nice way, habits might be changed, not only when staying at Thon Hotel EU but also when back home.
This year again we have planned a lot of different actions and will continue everything which was already done in the past. Following are some important dates
- Blood donation day - 14 March 2016 (10 am - 6 pm)
- World Water Day - 22 March 2016
- European Clean-up day - during the week of 6 May 2016
- Bio Week - during the week of the 6 June 2016
- Blood donation day - 20 June 2016 (10 am - 6 pm)
- Blood donation day - 5 September 2016 (10 am - 6 pm)
- Mobility Week - During the week of 19 September 2016
- EWWR - European Waste Reduction Week - During the week of the 19 November 2016
- Blood donation day - 12 December 2016 (10 am - 6 pm)
- Undress to Impress - During the months of October, November and December
For past actions & results and further updates follow our facebook page account!
Thon Hotel EU: an eco friendly hotel with lots of features!
For modern travel accommodation, being an eco hotel involves much more than the obvious energy saving measures and having no-smoking rooms. Here’s a taste of how we provide genuinely eco accommodation:
- Alternative energy generation - Solar panels on our rooftop
- The introduction of an energy accounting system
- Low energy lighting - 95% of the lamp bulbs are LED lamps (low consumption and long lifespan)
- Energy saving key card system in all bedrooms
- Gaz injected heating system
- Energy efficient flat screen televisions
- Insulation of floors, walls and windows (double-glazing)
- Rainwater harvesting system – Rainwater is collected from the roof for watering plantations, rinsing the degreaser, the staff’s sanitary and other
- Use of low-flow water taps in the bathrooms and showers
- All toilets are equipped with water saving devices
- Installation of electronic faucets in the urinals
- Environmentally friendly towel and sheet re-use program
- Hotel recycling bins in all bedrooms, common areas and back of the house to make recycling easy and convenient for everybody
- Thon Hotel EU keeps in account the green efforts from possible suppliers when choosing the preferred supplier
- Eco labeled cleaning products
- Recuperation of soap, shampoo and shower gel left overs and donate to charity
- Eco labeled stationary
- Internal reports printed double sided
- Ecological and recycled cartridges for our printers
- Faxes received as PDF format per e-mail instead of printed
- Internal online back up system for all documents
- Paper free invoicing to our contracted company clients
- We are working together with a eco-friendly dry-cleaning company
- Use of Ecopostal for our delivery of packages
- We have Villo! cards at our guest’s disposal (upon availability, certain conditions apply).
- Four recharging borns for electric and hybrid cars
- Bicycle storage facilities
- Bio-diversity - Green roof on 1st and 9th floor with herb boxes and vegetable garden just next to our insect hotel and bee hives
- Hygiene - Allergy awareness when choosing furnishing and cleaning materials
- Selection of home made, organic, fair trade, seasonal and local ingredients and drinks